The Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors has been serving townships of the second class since 1921, when Gov. William Sproul signed Act 189 to create PSATS. Headquartered in Enola, Cumberland County, the Association has more than 40 full-time employees and operates under the direction of a 12-member executive board, elected each spring by the membership.
The Association also has 12 standing committees that oversee specific aspects of its operations.
The Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors is committed to preserving and strengthening township government by lobbying state and federal lawmakers and educating and informing its members through workshops, an annual conference and trade show, and award-winning publications.
PSATS’ services include:
• Lobbying, Legislative Research and Analysis, and Policy Development — PSATS works with state and federal lawmakers to address issues that matter most to townships, analyzes legislation, and develops policy to advance the Association’s objectives. The Association also has a Grassroots Lobbying Network, an organized statewide group of local leaders who are on a mission to unify and amplify the township message. Also, PSATS keeps township officials informed about new laws and bills through a monthly newsletter, the monthly Pennsylvania Township News magazine, this website, and regular postings on Facebook and Twitter.
• Training — PSATS offers and administers a full range of training programs for elected and appointed public officials. Topics range from transportation, financial management, and land use management to personnel issues, building code enforcement, and sewage enforcement.
• Communications — PSATS is an information clearinghouse for its members and provides them with a full range of newsletters, brochures, and other publications, including the award-winning monthly magazine, the Pennsylvania Township News. The Township Video News offers a rundown each month of up-to-the-minute issues that affect townships and their residents.
• Insurance — PSATS offers an array of insurance programs to meet the needs of townships and their employees, including medical, dental, life, disability, workers’ compensation, and property and casualty insurance. It also offers pension, retirement savings, and unemployment compensation programs.
• Professional Associations — PSATS manages four professional associations, the Township Solicitors Association, the Township Engineers Association, the Township Planning Association, and the Township Emergency Management Association, which offer specialized services for the consultants and volunteers who help township officials meet their growing responsibilities.